NPO Blogs

The latest news and information on startups

Could Your Boiler Poison You This Summer?

Known as the silent killer, because its notoriously hard to detect, deadly carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty boiler could be killing you in your own home.

Image Credit

Depending on the weather, many of us turn our heating off in the summer months. This can lead us to believe it’s safe. But remember that you’re still using your boiler every day for hot water, and you should continue to make regular checks for any problems during the summer months as you would in winter. So what are the key warning signs that something could be wrong?

Image Credit

Key Warning Signs

Firstly, if you stop getting hot water through the system, then there is definitely something wrong. A change in the flame, or pilot light, from a crisp blue to flickering orange can also be a warning sign that something’s not as it should be. A build-up of black soot above or around your boiler and an increase in condensation in your home are another two key indicators that there’s a problem.

If you spot any of these signs, you should call an emergency plumber immediately. Many people use the same engineer year after year to carry out annual services, and they could be you first port of call as they already know the boiler. Failing that, if you’re looking for an emergency plumber, make sure they’re on the Gas Safe Register and so qualified to carry the work in a safe manner.

The Gas Safe Register website has the complete register along with a search function to find those that are local to you and also some useful advice on spotting the symptoms of CO2 poisoning.

In some cases, you may find that your boiler is condemned and you to replace it. If you’re looking for a Gloucester Boiler Installation service, companies such as http://www.hprservicesltd.com/gloucester-boilers/boiler-installation-gloucester/ can help.

Other Summer CO2 Dangers

But it’s not just your boiler that can cause CO2 poisoning in the summer. Barbeques and camping stoves can prove just a fatal if not properly ventilated. So bringing these items into the home or your tent or caravan is strictly a no-no. Even on a boat, where you would think there was plenty of ventilation out on the open sea, CO2 poisoning can occur if the area you’re barbequing in is covered with a canopy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.